Monday, August 15, 2011

I like to move it, move it!

Seriously, let's talk classroom music. This has been on my mind for the past several weeks. When it comes to teaching I have absolutely no shame dressing up as Alexis Texas (Hannah Montana's cousin, circa 2008) to teach second graders how to edit. C'mon, "Nobody's Perfect, You Gotta Edit!" Or getting down with my bad self to remind third graders their vowel rules. It's all about finding the right song.

So, I've been going back and forth with several songs, artists, and genres deciding what to use in my classroom this year. The last time I was teaching first grade, I had a whole line up of music for transitions. Love, love, loved it! I wish I could remember all our jams but, let's face it, I'm not a spring chicken! Here are a few I remember:
Handwriting: Crazy Frog (the previous year in 2nd grade I used Eye of the Tiger. Classic!)
Word Sorts: You've Got It- Right Stuff (New Kids on the Block- for real!)
Math: Get Your Head in the Game-High School Musical 2
End of the Day: Lean on Me Remix (with hand motions, oh yeah!)

Now, I feel a little anxious releasing our 2011-2012 playlist. I know the moment I press "Publish Post" I'll change my mind about one of my choices. Just know, I use these songs as transitions/clean up. Or, in the case of handwriting, they are used for warm ups. That being said, we do not listen to the song in it's entirety. I usually clip it to about 45 seconds or as needed. Here goes nothing...

Morning/Greeting: What I Am- Will I Am & Sesame Street
Handwriting: Jump- Van Halen
Daily 5: Beautiful Day-U2, The Final Countdown-Europe, Under Pressure- David Bowie & Queen, Get Ready- Temptations
Science/Social Studies: Think-Aretha Franklin
Math: I Like to Move It-Madagascar Soundtrack
Writing: Ain't No Mountain High Enough-Marvin Gaye
Goodbye: We are the World 25- Artists for Haiti (Hooray for Miley and Justin B!)

I'm not gonna lie, I was totally disappointed that Ricky Martin's "Shake Your Bon-Bon" was so scandalous. That was a shame. Here are some songs I strongly considered and will probably find some sort of use for in my classroom. The honorable mentions are...

Don't Worry Be Happy, Can't Get Next to You, anything Elvis, Ice Ice Baby, Stayin' Alive, La Macarena, and Respect.

What's on your soundtrack this year?


8 comments:

  1. I am off to search these songs :)

    Jennifer
    kinderpond@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't stop thinking about music for this year as well. I have an iPod, but need speakers or something to hook it up. What do you use for your music?

    Kimberly
    1st in Maine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been thinking about music all summer. How do you play your music? I want to use my iPod but I don't want to spend a ton on speakers.

    Kimberly
    1st in Maine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love using songs. I'll be saving these for my class :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennifer @ Kinderpond-Just as an FYI, the song I Like to Move It is only available on iTunes if you purchase the whole soundtrack. I found it on Ama-Awesome (Amazon) for 99 cents as a single song.

    Kimberly- This year I'm going to use an iPod docking station I got at Wally World. It was super cheap-o and has a remote. The remote makes it easy to start and stop the music from across the room. In years past I've just burned to a CD and used my CD player. I always have a backup CD for my subs just in case!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW WOW WOW! I have NEVER thought about using "real" music!! My mind is spinning!! I LOVE the Sesame Street Song!! That will be my first move!! I LOVE IT!

    Thank you soo much!! How fun!!

    Sarah Hetrick
    shetrick@gmail.com
    www.mrshetrick.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your soundtrack for this year! I'm a music lover too...I just discovered Wayne Brady's "Radio Wayne" and a group called "The Not-Its"...too fun! I just blogged about them the other day..and I left a link to my other favorite tunes! I subscribe to XM Satellite Radio and am known to listen to the kid's station often to find the newest rhythms! :) Thanks for sharing your tunes! I"m also addicted to http://www.televisiontunes.com/...It's a walk down memory lane!
    Jenn
    A Pirates Life for Us

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found your blog! I noticed the address at the bottom of Allen's writing assignment. You've got some great ideas. It makes me miss teaching, just a little :)

    And I snooped around and read about your adoption marathon on another blog -- good luck with that. My husband runs for fun, me -- no way.

    ReplyDelete